couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ideas for Changes to the Test Suite
Date Sat, 14 Feb 2009 00:28:57 GMT
On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 4:03 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> On 14 Feb 2009, at 00:55, Antony Blakey wrote:
>
>> We shouldn't have in-browser tests. In-browser tests are about testing the
>> browser, which we shouldn't do in this project. Our tests should be about
>> Couch, on the command-line, build-farm-integratable.
>
> We have both and we can keep both as both are useful.
> Given that CouchApps are a first class citizen, browser
> based tests make a lot of sense.

+1 We do have ./runner.sh to run the same tests on the command line.

My suggestion, that we should concentrate on getting the Erlang unit
tests easily accessible on the command line, is meant to be pragmatic.
Once we have a make target that runs tests, we can integrate it with
the command-line JS tests. So there can be an option to run the
integration suite as well as the unit suite.

We're just a couple of code-hours away from getting an Erlang unit
test make target, so once that's solid, we can work on making the JS
integration tests easier to run without a browser.

Browser variation isn't a problem, as the tests are only supported in
Firefox 3 (and not some broken beta version of it).

We could bike-shed this but I think it's better just to get `make
test` and `make test-js` solid.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson