couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ideas for Changes to the Test Suite
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2009 18:52:13 GMT
On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Paul Davis
<paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2. I'd still argue that we shouldn't be using a browser as our native
> test runner. We'd have to give up the little green check marks that
> make us all feel warm and fuzzy when tests pass, but the browser is a
> huge ass confounding variable.

I know for sure that in-browser tests are a big part of what brought
me to CouchDB. They tell the story of a web-native database in a way
that nothing else can really touch. They also make it *incredibly
easy* for newcomers to contribute.

>To me, a proper test suite would be run
> from directly from the command line. We have the hacked together test
> runner, but not many people seem to use it regularly because we have
> the fancy green check marks.

I think we're starting to feel the lack of Erlang unit tests. They
sure would have helped me in my last few patches, and they'd make a
decent beginning for documenting our native Erlang API.

I think once we get the few Erlang tests that are already written,
integrated into the build, and make it easy to add new ones, they will
become the primary command-line test suite.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com