couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ideas for Changes to the Test Suite
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2009 18:09:53 GMT
On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Damien Katz <damien@apache.org> wrote:
> My other reason to drop couch.js from the test is it risks becoming the
> defacto JS library, and not a very good one. Because we are trying to keep
> it simple for the tests, it doesn't have lots of features that would be more
> useful for real development (like async support). I'd prefer couch.js be
> exactly what it needs to be for useful in a browser without serving the
> needs of the test suite.

That's funny, I've had sort of the opposite perspective. For
in-browser development, the Futon jQuery CouchDB library seems like
the defacto stadard. It supports asynchronous calls and has a nicer
abstraction layer than couch.js.

OTOH, couch.js makes a great reference for building non-JavaScript
libraries, as most languages don't use the asynchronous http request
model that JavaScript tends to, but couch.js avoids. I think that if
we concentrate on keeping couch.js at the right level of abstraction
for the test suite, we'll be happiest.

I agree that the test suite needs cleanup, but I don't think pulling
couch.js out of it will make it any clearer.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com