couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Erlang API
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 20:29:01 GMT
Just bumping this over to a new thread for now, so we don't derail
"Roadmap discussion"

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:34 AM, Kerr Rainey <kerr.rainey@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/2/10 Michael McDaniel <couchdb@autosys.us>:
>>
>>  ... also, an Erlang API that skips the
>>
>>                   JSON <-convert-> native Erlang terms
>>
>>  translation overhead.  Being as term translation is not necessary
>>  when talking 'directly' with the CDB engine
>>  (e.g. couch_query_servers:map_docs/2 could skip the JSON <-> term()
>>  translation if the view engine reads/writes native Erlang terms)
>
> Interesting.  I'd certainly consider this another level further than
> what I was thinking of, or indeed would be thinking of using.  There
> is probably a few levels where couch functionality could be exposed
> natively.
>
> I wonder how much doing this kind of bypassing for a native erlang
> view engine would complicate the code?  Or would it give another clean
> layer?

I skip the JSON step in my native interfacing. I may be able to make
some of that code available, once it is cleaned up.

I've noticed that I tend to be jumping in and out of the current
CouchDB stack, depending on what I need to do. Putting everything I'm
using into a baseline interface layer might clean CouchDB up, or it
might needlessly complicate it. I guess we'd have to see.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com