couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: couchdb transactions changes
Date Sat, 07 Feb 2009 18:23:29 GMT
On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 8:22 AM, Damien Katz <damien@apache.org> wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2009, at 11:02 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the info.  Is there a third mode possible?  Namely all or
>> nothing  with conflict check,  with the understanimg that the conflict
>> guarantee is only at commit, and all bets are off after that when
>> replicated?
>>

> That's what we currently have. It's possible to keep supporting it, but it
> doesn't work with any of CouchDB's distributed features. It's only
> appropriate for a single node instance, even a hot standby slave will have
> inconsistent states.

I'm asking this with my computer science hat off. Is there room for
someone to implement the current behavior on top of a partitioned
cluster, by using a consensus-algorithm based transaction manager?

If someone is willing to pay the performance cost (and write some
code) do the proposed features give enough traction that current-style
bulk_docs transactions could be implemented on top of them?

Maybe I should put my CS hat on and figure this out, but I'm sure
there are others out there who are more motivated on this topic.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com