couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Transactional _bulk_docs
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2009 19:56:16 GMT
On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 4:57 AM, Antony Blakey <antony.blakey@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'm really hanging out on this issue. So far Damien has said that the
>> transactional group-operation is definitely being removed, whilst Chris has
>> said absolutely that no decision has been made.

What's at issue is the definition of transaction group operations. It
is still possible to have transactional commits of data to disk.
CouchDB 0.9 may not support checking that those updates are
non-conflicting.

I believe that supporting transactions of the current style, should
possible as a layer on top of the new multi-node transaction support.

>> This has serious implications for me, because my code assumes a
>> transactional _bulk_docs implementation.
>>
>> Is there some other way I need to approach this to get a resolution?

I don't have the mental bandwidth to attempt to implement the current
behavior as a client library on top of the planned behavior. I think
the next step is to prototype such a system. When we see how that
looks, it will help with known the next step.

It would also help to know if anyone else depends greatly on the
multi-doc mvcc transaction abilities. (I hope this leads to a
discussion of alternate patterns that can support the same application
use cases.)

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com