couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Simple erlang plugins (was Re: couch_gen_btree: pluggable storage / tree engines)
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2009 07:06:20 GMT
On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 10:39 PM, Antony Blakey <antony.blakey@gmail.com> wrote:

> I imagined that the ini file in the plugin directory wouldn't be modified by
> users i.e. that's "part of the plugin". Users would modify the local.ini
> file to change the user-configurable parts of that. That makes me think that
> the startup script should load local.*.ini, so you can separate your
> per-plugin user-configurable bits. The reason for not modifying the
> plugin.ini directly is so that you can update them easily.

There's a bunch of ways we could do this. The simplest overall system
I can think of would be a `make plugins` target that builds whatever
is in the plugins directory.

Maybe each plugin could have a default.ini and a local.ini, so something like:

plugins/
    geo_index/
        Makefile.am.in
        src/
            geo_index.erl
            geo_httpd.erl
            geo_manager.erl
        default.ini
        local.ini

Then CouchDB could automatically pickup plugin config from each
directory, running all the defaults before all the locals.

I'm not invested in these specifics, just trying to think of ways it
could look that would give new developers the least amount of
head-scratching.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com