couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB and clustering
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2009 00:26:16 GMT
On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 7:06 PM, Chris Anderson <jchris@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 3:56 PM, Ben Browning <ben324@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think I've captured, at least at a high-level, the general consensus
>> on partitioning here:
>>
>> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Partitioning_proposal
>>

> This looks great to me, thanks for capturing it here! The actual
> hashing of docids and merging of view queries will probably not be the
> hard part. I expect the hard part to be configuration and management
> of nodes across machines, as well as communication between nodes.
>
> There has been some work to make CouchDB more OTP-like (having trouble
> finding links...) and I think doing that first could make the rest of
> this job much easier.
>
> Thinking we should move this conversation to dev@ to ensure we get the
> right people's attention. ('scuse the cross-post.)
>
> Chris
>
> --
> Chris Anderson
> http://jchris.mfdz.com

I'm starting to believe that becoming more OTP compliant is going to
be the most (immediately) important aspect of supporting CouchDB nodes
that span physical hosts.

By getting the core bits of functionality separated into OTP
modules/apps/units/appropriate-term replacing bits of CouchDB
functionality becomes *alot* easier.

I think a good place for figuring out how to make the different bits
work would be to sit down and figure out a modular split for CouchDB
and then make those our OTP bits. Then with a configurable setup,
having a plugin that replaces the entire storage system (with say, a
distributed btree implementation) would be as easy as changing an INI
setting.

HTH,
Paul Davis