couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using HTTP headers
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2009 22:46:20 GMT
On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 03:49:33PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
>> Cache-Control ~= Make sure I'm getting most recent state of resource X
>
> This header is sent by the server to the client as a local caching guide.
>
>> Full-Commit ~= Make sure this is the most recent state of resource X
>
> This header is sent by the client to the server to force an internal state.
>
>> What is the clear distinction that I'm missing?
>
> One of these deals with HTTP level caching of resource representations.
>
> The other deals with the internal state of CouchDB.
>
> If they are as similar as you are making out, perhaps this whole thing should
> piggyback somehow onto the standard HTTP level caching protocol. This is a well
> established and community driven process, and is exactly the type of thing that
> the original article I linked to suggests.
>
> If it is about caching, but not enough about caching that we should use the
> standard provisions for caching, then maybe it's not enough about caching to be
> using the request headers like you suggest.
>
> Hah, I quite like that. ;)

That definitely made me laugh. :)

My only real point is that the whole issue is rather gray and we
should look around to see if maybe there's already a proposed header
of similar intent. The cache control was just me trying to make the
point that this is mostly just the product of slight differences in
interpretation. As clearly  demonstrated by the length and content of
the thread. :D

> --

HTH,
Paul Davis