couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using HTTP headers
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2009 17:58:46 GMT
On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 07:49:27PM -0800, Chris Anderson wrote:
>> I think it takes a more advanced developer to code against
>> headers-based APIs, partly just because they aren't exposed in the
>> browser. Query strings are in the url, so they can even be copied and
>> pasted around. The same holds for Accept headers vs .html or .json
>> file extensions in the URL.
>
> Exactly.
>
> From a pragmatic view point, custom headers will exclude certain clients.
>
> From a purist view point, custom headers are the wrong place for this.
>
> Is there any benefit to using custom headers at all?
>
> --

You can't just wave your hands and say this particular use of headers
is a violation of the best practices without making an argument for
why you don't think the specific headers we use are part of the
protocol.

In my opinion, the X-Couch-Full-Commit header is affecting the
protocol itself vs the individual request. Consider the Cache-Control
header. I'd say that the similarities are pretty close. You may want
to dismiss it as only part of the protocol for caching proxies and
what not, but are we not caching the post body temporarily in the
absence of X-Couch-Full-Commit?

No that I really care that much, but I find it grating when people
suspend their critical thinking in the face of dogma.

HTH,
Paul Davis