couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ideas for Changes to the Test Suite
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2009 18:30:22 GMT
Couple of thoughts:

1. NO LONG ASS TEST NAMES.

2. I'd still argue that we shouldn't be using a browser as our native
test runner. We'd have to give up the little green check marks that
make us all feel warm and fuzzy when tests pass, but the browser is a
huge ass confounding variable. To me, a proper test suite would be run
from directly from the command line. We have the hacked together test
runner, but not many people seem to use it regularly because we have
the fancy green check marks.

If people want to have a set of tests for a browser as in "Your
browser must support this set of operations to be used with CouchDB"
I'm all for it, but other wise its just adding headaches.

Also, making sure that all data is run from the command line means we
can integrate it into a build bot. This means we know who to yell at
if someone breaks trunk. This is a good thing IMO.

3. My spoon is tooooo big! Or the tests in this case. But its funnier
with the talking banana mental image. Making test cases smaller and
more focused is a good thing. Some sort of shallow directory layout
could be useful for categorization. And I'd argue for one file per
test.

4. Crazy idea on tagging. This is a bit off the deep end, but it'd be
kinda neat to have tagging support for tests. then if you have 5
seemingly random tests fail you'd realize that they all touch the
_uuid's endpoint or something. Just a random thought.

5. Also, there's an issue on JIRA to get a page so that people can
write tests cases from within Futon. Hopefully this would motivate new
people in the community to write tests that they can then upload to
JIRA (manually, of course, lawyers ftw).

6. I don't really have an opinion on couch.js. I can see both Damien
and Chris's arguments but I'm not overly concerned. When I was playing
with ajaxy bling with CouchDB I was just using jquery's normal ajax
support without any sort of library. The API is so thin I didn't even
stop to think that I'd want a  library in the first place. Granted I'm
a bit familiar with the API.

7. NO DAMN PARAGRAPHS FOR TEST NAMES. 4SRS!

I have no idea why I made that a numbered list. But I'm too lazy to
change it now.

HTH,
Paul Davis