couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: couchdb transactions changes
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 00:14:29 GMT

On 09/02/2009, at 1:08 AM, Damien Katz wrote:

> Nope, each individual read operation gets a snapshot of the
> database. When you are replicating, there is one read operation for
> every document that must be sent. Each read request gives you a new
> MVCC database.

This prompts the question - why not?

It seems to me that the consistency characteristics of replication
could be improved if a) MVCC boundaries were created by update
operations and b) a given replication was bounded by the latest MVCC
state available when the replication was started i.e. replication
cannot race with updates. I presume replication cannot use a single
MVCC state because it needs to see revisions? If revisions are visible
within a state, then my question would be why replication doesn't use
a single MVCC state.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

Borrow money from pessimists - they don't expect it back.
   -- Steven Wright