couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fail on a simple case on replication
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2009 04:45:29 GMT

On 25/02/2009, at 2:55 PM, Chris Anderson wrote:

> Reiterating: I think the clean solution is to remove the API for
> all conflicted revs (or of course the HEAD rev). I'll wait for people
> to say why this is a bad idea before I say why it's a good idea.

It might be a problem for externals that:

a) want to use all_docs_by_seq as a lazy update mechanism without
including the docs. I can't immediately think why you'd want to do
that, but this would make it impossible.

b) want to use the conflict data that is consistent with a given MVCC
snapshot (e.g. the request's update_seq), for which they could
theoretically need the data from a conflict that is no longer a head
conflict.

Edge cases admittedly, but disallowing access to previous revisions
would force all queries to be dealing with the head, which isn't the
case for lazy externals in particular.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

Did you hear about the Buddhist who refused Novocain during a root
canal?
His goal: transcend dental medication.