couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: couchdb transactions changes
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2009 09:16:57 GMT

On 10/02/2009, at 11:43 AM, Paul Davis wrote:

> If you're
> really committed on learning and improving the replication mechanisms
> and the implications that has in general, I would suggest that you
> start reading source code.

For anyone interested in this thread, the immediate resolution for me
is to study Bayou and other weak-consistency replication research. My
initial reading indicates that Bayou does what my intuition has been
telling me is possible. Once I fully understand the alternatives, I'll
proposed mods - to determine if I can apply those techniques to Couch.
If that's not possible, or it's just too much of a divergence from the
community vision, then obviously a new project is in order rather than
wasting everyone's time arguing for something that's not consistent
with the goals of CouchDB.

I should have done this research before hand, rather than relying on
intuition. Sorry for the grief and time wasting :/

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is
no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to
take away.
   -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery