couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fail on a simple case on replication
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2009 14:31:03 GMT
Hi,

On 23 Feb 2009, at 15:16, Damien Katz wrote:

> This is a very common misconception about the revision system. Any
> ideas how we can make this better?
>
> random ideas:
> - Remove the ability to get old revisions
> - Make it much harder/verbose to get old revision
> - Make the api to get old revisions something like "?
> old_rev_that_might_still_be_on_disk=...."
> - Don't call them revisions, call them "turd blossoms" or "hobo
> socks". People won't know what they are, but at least they won't
> misuse them.

I like to think of the _rev as an access token the user has to
provide when attempting a write. So _token would be an idea
or something else along these lines.

Since we are only operating on the "previous" revision for this,
we could also name it _prev.

Cheers
Jan
--

> -Damien
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Damien Katz <damien@apache.org>
>> Date: February 23, 2009 9:09:09 AM EST
>> To: user@couchdb.apache.org
>> Subject: Re: Fail on a simple case on replication
>>
>> Revisions are made available as a convenience, but CouchDB doesn't
>> replicate old revisions, only the most recent. Also compaction will
>> remove old revisions as well.
>>
>> -Damien
>>
>> On Feb 23, 2009, at 9:00 AM, Manolo Padron Martinez wrote:
>>
>>> Hi:
>>>
>>> I'm trying to test the replication process with two local database
>>> and I
>>> found that replication process don't work as it should (or as I
>>> think it
>>> would)
>>>
>>> The case:
>>>
>>> 1º Create a db called t2.
>>> 2º Create a document called terminator.