couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ideas for Changes to the Test Suite
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2009 23:23:08 GMT

On 14/02/2009, at 5:00 AM, Paul Davis wrote:

> 1. NO LONG ASS TEST NAMES.

-1

OTOH, I'd like namespaced tests, so each node isn't a paragraph, but
the fully qualified form is cf. ruby's rspec et al.

> 2. I'd still argue that we shouldn't be using a browser as our native
> test runner.

+1

The canonical runner should be a command-line tool so it can be
integrated into non-gui builds.

> If people want to have a set of tests for a browser as in "Your
> browser must support this set of operations to be used with CouchDB"
> I'm all for it, but other wise its just adding headaches.

-1

Our requirements are a working HTTP client implementation, and a
browser's conformance to that isn't about it's Couch support. I think
this should be a separate project.

> Making test cases smaller and more focused is a good thing.

+1

There should be only one issue actually under test, but some test
require considerable context.

> And I'd argue for one file per test.

-1

> 4. Crazy idea on tagging. This is a bit off the deep end, but it'd be
> kinda neat to have tagging support for tests. then if you have 5
> seemingly random tests fail you'd realize that they all touch the
> _uuid's endpoint or something. Just a random thought.

-1

I think this is over-engineering, and unlikely to be maintained
correctly.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

Every task involves constraint,
Solve the thing without complaint;
There are magic links and chains
Forged to loose our rigid brains.
Structures, structures, though they bind,
Strangely liberate the mind.
   -- James Fallen