couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Damien Katz <dam...@apache.org>
Subject Ideas for Changes to the Test Suite
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2009 18:02:08 GMT
So there have been some grumbling that the test suite could use some
changes.

A small problem I see is the use of couch.js in the tests.  I'd
personally like to remove the Javascript couch.js library usage from
the tests and instead use more naked HTTP calls and simple sub-routines.

My biggest reason is clarity, the tests are like documentation and by
removing a layer of abstraction the tests are easier to understand for
exactly what they are testing. A simpler (if longer) test
implementation makes it easier to build and debug libraries for other
platforms.

My other reason to drop couch.js from the test is it risks becoming
the defacto JS library, and not a very good one. Because we are trying
to keep it simple for the tests, it doesn't have lots of features that
would be more useful for real development (like async support). I'd
prefer couch.js be exactly what it needs to be for useful in a browser
without serving the needs of the test suite.

I'd like to know what others thing about that idea. It's a big task,
lots of code in the test to modify.

A bigger problem is the tests are just getting numerous and not very
well organized. And it's only getting worse. I'm thinking we need to
categorize the tests somehow to run subsets easily, but I don't have
any concrete ideas. Suggestions welcome.

-Damien