couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fail on a simple case on replication
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2009 10:52:33 GMT
Hi Patrick,

On 24 Feb 2009, at 09:06, Patrick Antivackis wrote:

> Oh and by the way, in a use case where there is only one database
> and you
> don't use compaction because you want to keep everything, well _rev
> is a
> revision that can be used to see the history of the document.

You still shouldn't and that's what's in the documentation :) Just
because
you can tie a skateboard to a car and drive on the highway would make
one hell of a fun ride, you are not advised to do so. :)

> I really don't
> see the point of renaming an attribute to make it harder to
> understand it's
> role.

The suggestion here is to rename to make it _easier_ to understand
because the connotations "revision" comes with are not entirely
valid for CouchDB.

> It's like all politically correct terminology where you use a stupid
> expression in order to be as neutral as possible.

You have a point here, it is about avoiding conflict. But I don't think
we're looking for a neutral term here, but one with a better name.
I'd go with _access_token if it weren't too long. _rev is nice and short
and _token might as well be _wibble. API design is hard.

Cheers
Jan