couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Damien Katz <dam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RESULT]: Accept newline patch into CouchDB for 0.9 (Was: Re: VOTE: accept newline patch into CouchDB for 0.9)
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2009 18:13:31 GMT
I'll once again state my objection to the newlines, which is actually
kind of weak.

If we compute the revids deterministically (hash the canonical doc
contents), then when we return the document back to the client, we can
send as an integrity hash the same revid, because it is already pre-
computed and stored, etc. What it could save us is the CPU cycles of
computing the hash. I think we also get some nice free caching
benefits too, but I'm not sure. But if we do, it might even save us
the disk reads to get the doc to compute the hash. The problem is any
standardized canonical representation is unlikely to included a
newline at the end.

Now I'm not even sure this scheme is workable either way, or only
workable in very special instances which are too rare to be worth it.
But if the scheme works, then it can simplify the code and make things
more efficient, which are 2 very good things. However these benefits
may never come, and we'll not have the newlines anyway. That would suck.

But the problem if we just add the newlines, then later remove them,
production apps and scripts that rely on that will break and make the
change is very painful. Or impossible.

So, those are the issues as I see them.

Now the more I think about it, the more I think that unless we move
all couchdb metadata to the http header, my ideas won't work. Moving
everything meta to the header is a big change that has some
supporters, but someone would need to do the work before it could even
be considered.

-Damien