couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Dionne <dio...@dionne-associates.com>
Subject Re: Transactional _bulk_docs
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2009 13:05:42 GMT
My sense is that the approach to design in CouchDB is very bottoms
up. I applaud that and encourage it and wholeheartedly agree with
Alan Perlis about building software top down *except* the first time.
We all know that very little great software was ever built top down
designed by boxologists armed with UML diagrams. I think CouchDB is
at a key point where it needs to continue to be driven by a small
core group of dedicated passionate programmers.

Please note that I'm in no way commenting on the make up of that group.

I'm not very familiar with the ASF "process", excuse my ignorance,
but I find the IRC enormously useful and find mailing list threads
can be too unwieldy.

I guess it's because I'm not a fan of top down design. I see the code
itself as the design, and the debugging, reworking, and documenting
of the code as the construction phase.

Best regards,

Bob

Robert Dionne