couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Roadmap discussion
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 23:02:57 GMT

On 10/02/2009, at 9:24 AM, Damien Katz wrote:

> On Feb 9, 2009, at 4:06 PM, Chris Anderson wrote:
>>

>> * Incremental Map Reduce
>> - This is also strong right now. It could be faster, but so far it's
>> been fast enough.
>
> I'd like to see built-in reductions for simple and commonly used
> things like count, sum, average, etc. When used it would avoid 90%
> of the current reduction costs.
>

>> * Alternate Storage and View Engines
>> - There are interested parties here, but I think we're hoping to
>> save this one until all the deeply subtle stuff Damien's working on
>> comes together.
>
> I think alternate view and reporting engines are a great idea, and
> I'd definitely like plug-ins for file attachment storage. Alternate
> storage engines aren't something that need to wait on me.

Any idea how _external is going to work in a partitioned database? For
example, if _externals don't see a global update_seq, then mechanisms
that currently work for e.g. geo-indexing or FTS won't be cluster-wide.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick
society.
   -- Jiddu Krishnamurti