couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Futon Future
Date Tue, 17 Feb 2009 13:39:29 GMT

On 17 Feb 2009, at 13:45, Patrick Antivackis wrote:

> Hi Jan,
> I have quite good skills in Jquery and the way futon is using it.
> I think your proposal is promising, and should even go a step
> further with
> may be a specific CouchDB base dedicated to plugins. The
> installation of new
> plugin would then be easy. As jquery can charge and execute script
> on the
> fly, scripts and html/images needed by the plugin could be
> attachement of a
> document.
>
> A view could classify the plugin available (need a to define a
> format for
> the documents) based on the documents (plugin) stored in this base.
>
> Also configuration could go to a specific document, letting easily
> the user
> to choose his home page for example, or the plugins available on it's
> homepage.

Hi Patrick, this sounds all pretty good. I'm thinking that today's
base features
could be pluginized as well, the replication tab makes another good
candidate.

But: We need to be careful with requiring a fully working CouchDB
instance.
Futon will work if CouchDB launches the HTTP interface as it just
sends files
to the browser. The test suite can verify (or not) that the
installation works. If
it doesn't CouchDB is unusable, hence dynamic plugins would be unusable,
if the test suite were a plugin, we couldn't find the error.

Cheers
Jan