couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Stats
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2009 16:50:03 GMT

On 27 Feb 2009, at 16:51, Christopher Lenz wrote:

> On 26.02.2009, at 18:33, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> thanks for your feedback! r748217 has some new goodies.
>>
>> On 23 Feb 2009, at 15:51, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>>> So far we have:
>>>
>>> {couchdb, open_databases}
>>> {couchdb, request_time}
>>>
>>> {httpd, bulk_requests}
>
>>> {httpd, head_requests}
>>> {httpd, get_requests}
>>> {httpd, put_requests}
>>> {httpd, post_requests}
>>> {httpd, delete_requests}
>>> {httpd, copy_requests}
>>> {httpd, move_requests}
>>>

> Any reason not to structure in a similar way as the status_code
> stats? Something like:
>
>  {httpd_request_methods, Method}

Excellent idea. I committed a patch to change this.

We now have:

{httpd_request_methods, 'COPY'},
{httpd_request_methods, 'DELETE'}
{httpd_request_methods, 'GET'}
{httpd_request_methods, 'HEAD'}
{httpd_request_methods, 'MOVE'}
{httpd_request_methods, 'POST'}
{httpd_request_methods, 'PUT'}

>>> {httpd, document_copies}
>>> {httpd, document_creates}
>>> {httpd, document_deletes}
>>> {httpd, document_moves}
>>> {httpd, document_reads}
>>> {httpd, document_updates}
>>> {httpd, requests}
>>> {httpd, temporary_view_reads}
>>> {httpd, view_reads}
>>>
>>> {http_status_codes, Code} (Code is one of 200, 201, 203 ... )
>
> Also, I wonder whether we should just use singular form for all the
> keys. Right now most are plural, but not everything is nicely
> pluralizable (although DHH may disagree), especially with groups
> such as httpd_status_code and httpd_request_method.

I think since we're counting things, plural is a given. To make it
absolutely correct, we'd have to make it `{httpd_request_methods,
'GETs'}` which seems odd, that's right. But I think `{httpd, request}`
looks just as odd and we should be using plural in all cases except
when something at the protocol or implementation-level is counted
(like GET or 404).

> Otherwise, nice, I'm investigating whether some of this can be
> integrated into the Futon Status page, and how.

I'm so looking forward to that :) Half of the motivation to write this
was to get a nice page in Futon, thanks! :)

Cheers
Jan