couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Damien Katz <dam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: proposed replication rev history changes
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 15:07:03 GMT

On Feb 9, 2009, at 12:54 AM, Adam Kocoloski wrote:

> On Feb 9, 2009, at 12:40 AM, Damien Katz wrote:
>
>>> Or Couch could switch to a 64 bit space for the revision IDs ;-)
>>
>> There is nothing preventing larger revs (or even non-integer revs)
>> as it's just stored as a string (real efficient I know). The size
>> could easily be a server or database setting.
>>
>> -Damien
>
> Hah, I noticed that but wasn't going to bring it up now.  If the
> file format is going to change I'd vote for being more efficient
> about the space usage.  No sense in throwing away 60% of the bytes
> each time a revision is stored on disk.  Best,

Sure, but it's not necessary to change the file format just because we
save it in a more compact format. We are saving Erlang terms which
also contain type information, so all you need some extra logic when
reading from disk to convert values to a canonical format.

So while there is no need to optimize it now, there is also no good
reason to not do it either. So feel free to work on it, it should make
the internal indexes smaller and faster.

-Damien