couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDBX Future
Date Tue, 17 Feb 2009 22:29:45 GMT

On 18/02/2009, at 3:58 AM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> Hey,
>
> remember the Futon mail earlier? Yeah, there's another project
> that need love: CouchDBX*.
>
> *http://jan.prima.de/~jan/plok/archives/142-CouchDBX-Revival.html
>
> My idea of CouchDBX is this:
>
>  A single package that can be downloaded and run to evaluate
>  CouchDB.
>
> That sounds simple, but the devil is in the details. The first version
> was hand-crafted and what I did there needs automation now.
> Several people have expanded the ObjC/Cocoa interface into
> interesting directions and I'd like to see this work continued.

I've automated this, the relevent part being in my memetic project: http://github.com/AntonyBlakey/memetic/tree/master

  . Memetic builds location independent erlang and couchdb, and has
the additional libraries so that it can run on OSX without macports
and without any additional dependencies.

Memetic is about Ruby, but that's not an impediment - it builds the
binaries by downloading the relevant tars, building with appropriate
options and then munging some paths in files to achieve location
independence.

I think the building requires no more Ruby than is present by default
in 10.5. The binaries are currently more isolated than strictly
required because I wanted to support multiple simultaneous installs
that have different version dependencies.

This BTW was automated as part of building a generic client. I have a
client who will probably pay someone to do the Win32 version.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

Hi, I'd like to do $THING. I know that $SOLUTION_A and $SOLUTION_B
will do it very easily and for a very reasonable price, but I don't
want to use $SOLUTION_A or $SOLUTION_B because $VAGUE_REASON and
$CONTRADICTORY_REASON. Instead, I'd like your under-informed ideas on
how to achieve my $POORLY_CONCEIVED_AMBITIONS using Linux, duct tape,
an iPod, and hours and hours of my precious time.
   -- Slashdot response to an enquiry