couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Rubygems as generic package manager (was: Re: Simple erlang plugins (was Re: couch_gen_btree: pluggable storage / tree engines))
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2009 21:47:36 GMT

On 03/02/2009, at 12:42 AM, C. Florian Ebeling wrote:

> that's one idea I was thinking about myself a while back
> but I didn't get around trying it. I wonder how happy you
> are with this "gems as generic package manager" approach?
> It would be cool if you could post examples into some pastebin,
> if sharing that is at all possible.

I have to figure out the technical details of how to get it up on
github, given it includes a heap of binary components and erlang and
couchdb.

> Sounds like something that might make deployment in general
> a bit more fun across different OSes.

It makes deployment trivial, and you get all the benefits of rubygems
updating. I do hear however regular complaints about rubygems
reliability, which gives me some pause.

Antony Blakey
-------------
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd