couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Peer Commit
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2009 23:42:37 GMT
I'm leveraging existing presence mechanisms to provide discovery and
coordination facilities in a mesh e.g. XMPP. This gives me statistical
information of peer state and a view of the entire mesh. I'm doing
this purely because I need presence for other reasons e.g.
decentralized deployment of known-secure servers.

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Chris Anderson <jchris@apache.org>
wrote:
> I don't know the literature,

IMOH you can't stand on the shoulders of giants if you don't start
with a literature search.

> If we track sequence id progress of all known replicas, we know with
> what confidence local updates have been propagated to the network.

Wouldn't you'd also need to track the precise/imprecise status of each
write?

> I think it's the simplest metaphor, and avoids false abstractions like
> bulk commits and order guarantees.

I presume by 'false abstractions' you mean abstractions that can't be
supported by CouchDB as it is.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

When I hear somebody sigh, 'Life is hard,' I am always tempted to ask,
'Compared to what?'
   -- Sydney Harris