couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: couchdb transactions changes
Date Sat, 07 Feb 2009 23:31:26 GMT

On 08/02/2009, at 2:17 AM, Damien Katz wrote:

> 1. Transactions don't work with replication. Replication doesn't
> repeat the bulk single transaction, it just copies the documents
> individually to the target replica. This means any downstream
> replica can and will sees inconsistent states until replication
> fully completes, not "all or nothing" states. With bidirectional
> replication is even worse, as you can get edit conflicts that must
> be resolved by an external process, .

This presumes that the UI model doesn't distinguish between conflicts
due to replication and constraint failures due to local ACID operations.

In my Notes Client-like model for example:

1. Web actions such as form submits don't result in conflict - they
either succeed or fail, to be retried. Users don't want to be thrown
into a conflict resolution UI when they hit save on a document that
they've been editing for some time.

2. Replication and normal operation are exclusive states. The
replication process checks for conflicts, and won't re-enter the
normal operational state until conflicts are resolved by the user,
using a specialized replication-conflict UI.

In my model, conflicts only ever occur due to replication, and this
fact allows applications to be considerable simpler, and the user
experience to be IMO vastly superior.

> 2. Transactions don't work in a partitioned database without a huge
> performance hit (locking + 2 phase commits).

Can you share your thinking about your model for a partitioned
database? For example: are there any consistency guarantees or ACID
constraints (e.g. storage) within the cluster? Is there actual or
effective serialization of updates on a cluster-wide basis? Are views
cluster-wide?

I really need to know more about your model before I can reason about
this point.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success.
  -- Albert Schweitzer