couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fail on a simple case on replication
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2009 11:54:42 GMT

On 24/02/2009, at 10:11 PM, Robert Dionne wrote:

> I read this thesis ages ago, and technically you are correct, if
> somewhat pedantic. I think CouchDB captures the just of being REST-
> ful and certainly from a marketing perspective it's timely.

That's why I say it's a marketing issue. Surely we shouldn't copy
Microsoft's marketing tactics and deliberately misuse a term for
marketing reasons. The site should say 'HTTP API'.

> When I mention to potential customers that CouchDB database are
> accessed with URIs they say "oh it uses this new REST stuff, cool".
> Often we have little choice over how the world takes an idea and
> runs with it.

But we don't have to be complicit. And remember this isn't about the
world taking an *idea*. It's about people wanting a cool label to
stick on their project, even if the label doesn't fit.

What term would you suggest for a service that fulfills Fielding's
definition? Certainly the benefits of being 'RESTful' according to his
definition don't flow on to CouchDB, because it's NOT actually RESTful.

Antony Blakey
-------------
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787