couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lounge clustering framework
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2009 20:09:23 GMT

On 24 Feb 2009, at 20:54, Shaun Lindsay wrote:

> Hey all,
> We've been discussing the best way to handle releasing the Lounge
> code and
> we have some questions that you, the couch devs, might be able to
> help out
> with:
>
> 1. What license is preferred?  Since Couch is an Apache project, the
> Apache
> license is probably appropriate, however, since the Lounge is more
> or less a
> separate entity, we can probably release under any license.  Any
> preferences?

If this or parts of this are ever fed back into CouchDB it'd be
easiest to have
it under Apache License 2.0. Any oder new-style BSD license or MIT will
do, too, but Apache License 2.0 is very much preferred.

*If* any of the code will go into CouchDB we'll also need a contributers
license agreement (CLA)* which is another thing you lawyer might want
to look at, but probably not right now.

* See way down on http://www.apache.org/licenses/

> 2. Project hosting?  Again, since this is separate from Couch, it
> probably
> doesn't make sense to have it in the Couch repo.  We were thinking
> google
> code (since we use svn),  but I'm open to whatever.  Thoughts?

We can make it a sub-project of CouchDB eventually (just raising the
option
for now), but to start off, any open source hoster will do. CouchDB
used to
be on Google Code and it seems a reasonable choice. Of course, GitHub
is all the rage today and would give you more street-cred but I'd
understand
if you don't want to switch version control systems.

> Once we settle on a license, we'll need to run it by our lawyer to
> make sure
> we're solid and, assuming that goes well, we should be good to give
> out the
> code.

This is so fricken' awesome! Thanks!

Cheers