couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Kerr Rainey <kerr.rai...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: couch_gen_btree: pluggable storage / tree engines
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2009 16:21:54 GMT
> Great question, I'd say no it runs entirely against the grain of what
> CouchDB is. Documents aren't supposed to be related to one another. But
> relational databases don't handle this kind of thing either so I figure why
> not CouchDB as it offers other features that solve lots of problems.

I think in most practical apps that Couch targets there are
relationships between docs.  The canonical Blog example has comments
that are children of a parent post.  I think the emphasis on reminding
people that CouchDB is not relational tends to lead people to the
conclusion that the documents won't be related in some way.  Of course
CouchDB doesn't have any built in way to specify those relationships.

I've been playing around with conventions for specifying doc
relationships and how an app layer would make those relationships easy
to handle.  It seems to be quite useful so far. It would be
interesting to see if it was possible / sensible to push some of that
further down into CouchDB.

--
Kerr