couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T" <dunde...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RESULT]: Accept newline patch into CouchDB for 0.9 (Was: Re: VOTE: accept newline patch into CouchDB for 0.9)
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:42:07 GMT
On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 3:56 AM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

>>> what about ?attachments=true  or am I misunderstanding you?
>>
>> This is new to me - such feature doesn't seem to be mentioned at
>> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/HTTP_Document_API, where it says:
>>
>> "When retrieving documents, the attachment's actual data is not included,
>> only the metadata. The actual data has to be fetched separately, using a
>> special URI."
>>
>> However I do see "attachments=true" in couch_rep.erl. Is this something
>> internal/private for replication?
>
> This is an omission in the documentation. I added it to the wiki now with
> a note that you should not use it :) I think the plan forward is to add an
> API
> where documents and attachments can be transferred in a single HTTP
> request using a multipart mime request. This will speed up replication,
Not immediately apparent that this is true, only if mime encode/decode
is faster than json encode/decode

> fix handling replication with large attachments and makes it possible to
> create a document and a set of attachments without going through
> intermediate revisions.
I am doing this currently, the recent fix to mochiweb of the 1MB body
regression allows one to upload document + attachments in a single
revision -- you need to base64 the attachment and set the attributes,
but it works.  My dump/load code does it quite nicely.

Regards,

Jeff Hinrichs