couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dirkjan Ochtman <dirk...@ochtman.nl>
Subject Re: Ideas for Changes to the Test Suite
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2009 19:03:58 GMT
On 13/02/2009 19:52, Chris Anderson wrote:
> I know for sure that in-browser tests are a big part of what brought
> me to CouchDB. They tell the story of a web-native database in a way
> that nothing else can really touch. They also make it *incredibly
> easy* for newcomers to contribute.

They also make it incredibly easy for newcomers to get confused, due to
the involvement of the browser. That is, I ran the tests using Firefox
3.1b2, and they crapped all over themselves. Of course I thought I
hadn't installed Couch just right; but it was the browser's fault in
this case. I agree that the in-browser test suite is incredibly snazzy,
but I definitely feel for Paul's argument about more basic testing, too.

Cheers,

Dirkjan