couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RESULT]: Accept newline patch into CouchDB for 0.9 (Was: Re: VOTE: accept newline patch into CouchDB for 0.9)
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2009 09:56:01 GMT

On 26 Feb 2009, at 09:03, Brian Candler wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 07:07:11AM -0600, Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T wrote:
>>> CouchDB dodges this at present, since you can't download a
>>> document together
>>> with its attachments.
>> what about ?attachments=true  or am I misunderstanding you?
>
> This is new to me - such feature doesn't seem to be mentioned at
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/HTTP_Document_API, where it says:
>
> "When retrieving documents, the attachment's actual data is not
> included,
> only the metadata. The actual data has to be fetched separately,
> using a
> special URI."
>
> However I do see "attachments=true" in couch_rep.erl. Is this
> something
> internal/private for replication?

This is an omission in the documentation. I added it to the wiki now
with
a note that you should not use it :) I think the plan forward is to
add an API
where documents and attachments can be transferred in a single HTTP
request using a multipart mime request. This will speed up replication,
fix handling replication with large attachments and makes it possible to
create a document and a set of attachments without going through
intermediate revisions.

Cheers
Jan