couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject [RESULT]: Accept newline patch into CouchDB for 0.9 (Was: Re: VOTE: accept newline patch into CouchDB for 0.9)
Date Sun, 22 Feb 2009 16:47:00 GMT
Collecting:

On 23 Jan 2009, at 23:42, Noah Slater wrote:
>  * Accept the patch (or a modified version) and add newline chars

+1: 7 (2 binding)
-1: 3 (2 binding)

>  * Reject the patch (and any modified version) and do not add
> newlines chars

+1: 3 (2 binding)
-1: 4

>  * Further discussion, to be decided before we release 0.9

+1: 1 (1 binding)
-1: 1 (1 binding)

>   * Further discussion, to be decided after we release 0.9

+1:
-1: 2 (2 binding)

--

It looks like we have a draw with weigh-in from the community
on a +1 to accept the patch.

We need more discussion here.

--

I noticed that one reason is the CLI-friendliness of the appended
newline.

I created "couchcurl", a stupid-simple wrapper around curl that adds
a newline:

   http://github.com/janl/couchcurl/tree/master

I wanted this tool for a long time and as you can see in the TODO
section, this is indeed quite useful if you can specify default server
names and port numbers so you could run

   couchcurl -X PUT /database-name

instead of

   curl -X PUT http://127.0.0.1:5984/database-name

I hope to get more people to help adding more features.

For the moment I like to keep this in sh-script only for maximum
compatibility, but I could be persuaded to rewrite it in python or
possibly include it in the CouchApp project. Alternatively, we
could bundle it with CouchDB.

I understand that this does not counter all objections in the +1 camp,
but maybe we can get more support on the -1 camp through the
community :)

Cheers
Jan