couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Dionne <dio...@dionne-associates.com>
Subject Re: Fail on a simple case on replication
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2009 12:06:38 GMT

Robert Dionne
Chief Programmer
dionne@dionne-associates.com
203.231.9961

On Feb 24, 2009, at 6:54 AM, Antony Blakey wrote:

> On 24/02/2009, at 10:11 PM, Robert Dionne wrote:
>
>> I read this thesis ages ago, and technically you are correct, if
>> somewhat pedantic. I think CouchDB captures the just of being REST-
>> ful and certainly from a marketing perspective it's timely.
>
> That's why I say it's a marketing issue. Surely we shouldn't copy
> Microsoft's marketing tactics and deliberately misuse a term for
> marketing reasons. The site should say 'HTTP API'.

It's an exaggeration to suggest that CouchDB's use of the term REST
is akin to Microsoft's marketing tactics. Nor is it a matter of being
complicit. Your argument that it is not RESTful is similar to saying
someone is not a good catholic because they eat meat on Fridays and
subscribe to other reforms of recent vatican councils. REST is an
interesting idea but let's face it, with all due respect to Roy
Fielding, it's merely a statement that this is how the web works and
what makes it work well. It generated excitement I think largely as a
contrast to the ugliness of SOAP. I'm happy it produced a readable
thesis.

In fact the fuzziness of the idea explains why there are so many
arguments about what's RESTful or not.