couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDBX Future
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2009 11:23:14 GMT

On 18/02/2009, at 8:59 AM, Antony Blakey wrote:

> On 18/02/2009, at 3:58 AM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>>
>> remember the Futon mail earlier? Yeah, there's another project
>> that need love: CouchDBX*.
>>
>> *http://jan.prima.de/~jan/plok/archives/142-CouchDBX-Revival.html
>>
>> My idea of CouchDBX is this:
>>
>> A single package that can be downloaded and run to evaluate
>> CouchDB.
>>
>> That sounds simple, but the devil is in the details. The first
>> version
>> was hand-crafted and what I did there needs automation now.
>> Several people have expanded the ObjC/Cocoa interface into
>> interesting directions and I'd like to see this work continued.
>
> I've automated this, the relevent part being in my memetic project: http://github.com/AntonyBlakey/memetic/tree/master

>  . Memetic builds location independent erlang and couchdb, and has
> the additional libraries so that it can run on OSX without macports
> and without any additional dependencies.
>
> Memetic is about Ruby, but that's not an impediment - it builds the
> binaries by downloading the relevant tars, building with appropriate
> options and then munging some paths in files to achieve location
> independence.
>
> I think the building requires no more Ruby than is present by
> default in 10.5. The binaries are currently more isolated than
> strictly required because I wanted to support multiple simultaneous
> installs that have different version dependencies.
>
> This BTW was automated as part of building a generic client. I have
> a client who will probably pay someone to do the Win32 version.

I'm interested in starting a project to build a generic GUI client
without Ruby and without CouchDB, into which CouchDB (and my
alternative) could be plugged.

I'm thinking that the best bet is a XUL application that includes
Erlang without optional plugs, such as icu and spidermonkey.

The benefit to this community is that I may have funding for some of
this, and it would be genetic deployment client for Erlang apps.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being
a damn fool about it
   -- W.C. Fields