couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Simple erlang plugins (was Re: couch_gen_btree: pluggable storage / tree engines)
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2009 11:10:10 GMT

On 02/02/2009, at 8:56 PM, Noah Slater wrote:

> I've found this thread a little hard to follow so far, but why not
> configure the
> plugins from /etc/couchdb/local.ini itself, including the
> configuration that
> tells CouchDB which plugins to work. I'm not sure I'm comfortable
> with the idea
> of CouchDB scanning a list of directories each time, loading things
> automatically.

I did it this way to avoid touching the CouchDB code, and not wanting
to impose another file format or do parsing in shell script.
Especially given that I have an imminent requirement for CouchDB/Win32
where the shell is complete shit. OTOH I may have to replace the start
script with C for that reason.

It might be better to have an erlang plugin manager that can deal with
plugin selection, dependencies and ordering requirements, but that's a
more intrusive solution.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way
that will allow a solution
   -- Bertrand Russell