couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: couchdb transactions changes
Date Sun, 08 Feb 2009 06:49:21 GMT

On 08/02/2009, at 5:05 PM, Damien Katz wrote:

> In this case it has nothing to do with update transactions. MVCC is
> about each read operation having it's own snapshot of the database.

Sure, but the MVCC snapshots are created by update transactions, yes?

> I'm stating that you must "read lock" the source database if you
> want this "consistent replication" thing you are trying to achieve.
> That's a fact.

Sorry, I'm just trying to understand how replication, which sees an
MVCC snapshot, requires that I read-lock the source database.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success.
  -- Albert Schweitzer