couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: let -c *not* ignore default.ini
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2009 19:06:48 GMT
On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 07:48:17PM +0100, eric casteleijn wrote:
>> For me, this weird behaviour breaks the rule of least surprise.
>
> I understand that, but for me it was actually the reverse. I expected
> the default.ini to be used unless I specified an option to not use it,
> and anything I passed into -c to customize the settings I wanted to
> override. Perhaps it is my zc.buildout history, where you only ever
> state what needs to be changed, and can even do things like:

The --help output is very clear about this:

  -c FILE     use configuration FILE (chainable, resets system default)

> I can see that a consensus may not be within reach here, so perhaps
> another option that does provide this behavior could be added, and if we
> can find clear enough descriptions to distinguish the two. Perhaps
> override vs. custom(ize) although all the obvious letters have already
> been taken...

I would accept a patch which added:

  -c FILE     use configuration FILE (chainable, reset system default)
  -C FILE     use configuration FILE (chainable, do not reset system default)

I suggest using the INI_FILES variable for both of these options in the
parse_script_option_list while loop, though modifying the -c option to set a
variable called RESET_CONFIG_BOOLEAN to true. How to integrate this in the
start_couchdb function should be pretty obvious.

Which reminds me, I should really remove the _BOOLEAN suffix from the variables
in CouchDB's shell scripts. I really have no idea what I was thinking when I
came up with that ridiculous nomenclature. But as it stands, local consistency
is more important, so you may as well stick to it.

Best,