couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Candler <B.Cand...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: REST, Hypermedia, and CouchApps
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2009 08:50:52 GMT
> One way to fix this it to give the resources made available by a
> design document a common root. This means we can use hrefs like
> "_show/docid" to link to a show function from an attachment.  So we
> get paths like this:
>
> /db/_design/foo/_view/bar?limit=10
> /db/_design/foo/_show/docid
> /db/_design/foo/index.html

Does this imply that attachment names can no longer be permitted to start
with an underscore? If so I'd say that's very reasonable, being consistent
with the rule for docids (*).

You could consider that attachments starting with an underscore are
"virtual" attachments, generated on demand.

ISTM that the overall goal of this proposal is to make all the output of
_design/foo accessible under the _design/foo namespace, so that views and
lists can easily link to each other with relative URLs, not knowing that the
design document's name is "foo".

This also seems sensible to me. However, perhaps the name "_design" is no
longer meaningful. The namespace would no longer cover just the definition
of the map/reduce and list/show functionality, but also all of its output.

Ha, there's another bikeshed to discuss :-)

Regards,

Brian.

(*) Such as rule would also allow other potential future uses, e.g.

    /db/docid/_plugin