couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Candler <B.Cand...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [RESULT]: Accept newline patch into CouchDB for 0.9 (Was: Re: VOTE: accept newline patch into CouchDB for 0.9)
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2009 07:44:36 GMT
On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 06:37:58PM -0600, Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T wrote:
> > The major speed up factors when doing this in multipart mime are:
> >
> > 1. Streaming bytes from and to disk for attachments.
> > 2. No Base64 round trip
> > 3. No base64 means less data transferred
> >
> > Seems like I'm missing another one, but those are the biggies.
>
> I knew there had to be more to it than what I was understanding.   Any
> chance you could point me to a reference for multipart mime requests?
> I ran a goog this morning but ended up with lots of email oriented
> hits.

The canonical reference is RFC 2046 section 5.1. Also see RFC 2387 for
multipart/related, which is probably what CouchDB will want to use.

It's actually pretty simple, as you can see by looking at some lightweight
MIME implementations which handle only multipart, e.g.
http://svn.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/branches/ruby_1_8/lib/soap/mimemessage.rb?view=markup

Regards,

Brian.