couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Candler <B.Cand...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [RESULT]: Accept newline patch into CouchDB for 0.9 (Was: Re: VOTE: accept newline patch into CouchDB for 0.9)
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2009 08:48:57 GMT
On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 04:51:08PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> That hadn't occurred to me. I kinda liked the attachments via
> multipart mime so i was more forcing everything else into that format.
> At the moment I can't decide which form I prefer. I definitely see
> sticking to JSON being easier to parse all around, though.

Even if you could read MIME multipart directly using XHR, to get a document
complete with its attachments, you'd end up with binary (non-Unicode)
strings in your Javascript.

Ecma-262 says that Strings don't have to be valid Unicode. However CouchDB
requires attachment uploads to be base64-encoded. Would I be right to say
this is because of a JSON restriction, rather than a Javascript one?

CouchDB dodges this at present, since you can't download a document together
with its attachments. I don't suppose that much attachment processing takes
place in Javascript anyway; in normal cases the Javascript creates a URL
from the attachment name, which the user clicks on to download or view the
attachment, without JS ever seeing the body.

Regards,

Brian.