couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Candler <B.Cand...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Fail on a simple case on replication
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2009 22:22:51 GMT
On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 01:48:56PM +0100, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>> However, you must then be prepared for your database to be a single
>> file
>> which grows without bounds. If CouchDB wants to support this model, it
>> would
>> be helpful if the data were stored in chunks which can be backed up
>> separately.
>
> rsync? :)

Doesn't work especially well on huge files. Indeed, files >2GB aren't
handled well by many systems. If I had to migrate 200GB of data, I'd much
prefer 100 x 2GB than 1 x 200GB. It also has the advantage that 99 of those
files are not changing.

>> Just thinking out loud.
>
> This is quite interesting! :) I'd like to see such a system, but I'd
> also like
> CouchDB not becoming an Apache-httpd style kitchen-sink for all things
> HTTP. Maybe Yaws is what you're looking for?

Yaws is just another Mochiweb, isn't it?

I'm not sure about 'kitchen sink', but I've seen desires expressed for more
pluggability; perhaps JSON could be a pluggable layer sitting on top of a
raw document store?

Regards,

Brian.