couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RESULT]: Accept newline patch into CouchDB for 0.9 (Was: Re: VOTE: accept newline patch into CouchDB for 0.9)
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:15:42 GMT
On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:29:08AM +1030, Antony Blakey wrote:
> My suggestion arising from this is that voting a community vote where
> everyone states their case and casts a vote is followed by a PMC
> decision. It seems (to me) confusing to have this multi-class voting
> system which conflates two separate processes.
>
> The PMC decision would only need explanation if it were a veto of a
> community vote.

No, this jars strongly with my understanding of the Apache Way.

  Who is permitted to vote is, to some extent, a community-specific thing.
  However, the basic rule is that only PMC members have binding votes, and all
  others are either discouraged from voting (to keep the noise down) or else
  have their votes considered of an indicative or advisory nature only.

                                 -- http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html

I think we have followed this official document to the letter, and in spirit.

You are suggesting that Apache voting should be done by the community at large,
and then the PMC should decide in private which option to take. This is not how
things are meant to work. We had one vote which was opened up to everyone. We
have properly taken advice from the community, but would like to have further
discussion before we accept or reject the change.

Thanks,