couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RESULT]: Accept newline patch into CouchDB for 0.9 (Was: Re: VOTE: accept newline patch into CouchDB for 0.9)
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2009 12:04:29 GMT
On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:14:04PM +1030, Antony Blakey wrote:
> I'm a bit confused about this. Excuse me while I tread carefully. It
> seems that the community vote is clearly a majority to accept the patch.
> If the end result of this vote is that we don't follow that vote because
> it's only the PMC vote that counts, doesn't that mean that community
> votes are irrelevant?

Anthony, I am upset that you seem to be wanting to cause trouble again.

If you look back at my original email, you will find:

  * The community and PMC have decided to open this issue back up for
    discussion, with the proviso that we complete our final decision before
    releasing 0.9 -- which means another vote in a week or so. Heh.

  * The community was strongly in favour of accepting the patch, but the PMC was
    almost completely split down the middle, with a slightly preference for not
    accepting the patch.

Clearly the community votes are not irrelevant, otherwise I would not have
listed them or taken them into account. Apache is a meritocracy, meaning that
some votes carry more weight than others. When the PMC votes so heavily for
further discussion in the light of a strong community support, I hardly see that
you could suggest any other outcome than to open up the discussion.

Moreover, if you had actually bothered to read the rules for Apache voting on
code modification you would know that Chris Anderson and Jan Lehnardt had vetoed
the patch, meaning that it cannot possibly be accepted.

Best.