couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RESULT]: Accept newline patch into CouchDB for 0.9 (Was: Re: VOTE: accept newline patch into CouchDB for 0.9)
Date Sun, 22 Feb 2009 22:30:32 GMT
On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 05:47:00PM +0100, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
> It looks like we have a draw with weigh-in from the community
> on a +1 to accept the patch.
>
> We need more discussion here.

Oh wow, I was very confused by this.

I actually announced the results on the 2009-02-01, and wondered why you were
ignoring these... but a careful check of my mail archives reveals I managed to
have an entire subthread replying to my own emails. What a looser.

Bellow is what I had originally written:

The results are in, and my conclusions are:

  * The community and PMC have decided to open this issue back up for
    discussion, with the proviso that we complete our final decision before
    releasing 0.9 -- which means another vote in a week or so. Heh.

  * The community was strongly in favour of accepting the patch, but the PMC was
    almost completely split down the middle, with a slightly preference for not
    accepting the patch.

Over the course of the vote, we had a little discussion, but maybe not enough.

Is there anything else any wants to add? Nows the time!

I know this is an annoying issue, and you wouldn't believe how tremendously
boring compiling this vote result has been (learnt some new stuff about how to
tot-up vote results though) -- but we need to resolve it at some point. Our
ability to handle our very first bikeshed colour might be seen as an
opportunity to demonstrate the awesome power of the CouchDB community. Heh heh.

Go CouchDB!

>   * Accept the patch (or a modified version) and add newline chars

  Community: 7, PMC: 1

    +1 Noah Slater (Binding)
    +1 Antony Blakey
    +1 Dean Landolt
    +1 Paul Davis
    +1 Christopher Lenz (Binding)
    +0 Damien Katz (Binding)
    -1 Chris Anderson (binding)
    -1 Jan Lehnardt (binding)

>   * Reject the patch (and any modified version) and do not add newlines chars

  Community: -4, PMC: 2

    -1 Noah Slater (Binding)
    -1 Antony Blakey
    -1 Dean Landolt
    -1 Paul Davis
    -0 Christopher Lenz (Binding)
    +0 Damien Katz (Binding)
    +1 Chris Anderson (binding)
    +1 Jan Lehnardt (binding)

>   * Further discussion, to be decided before we release 0.9

  Community: 5, PMC: 5

    +0 Noah Slater (Binding)
    +0 Antony Blakey
    +0 Dean Landolt
    -1 Paul Davis
    +0 Christopher Lenz (Binding)
    +1 Damien Katz (Binding)
    +0 Chris Anderson (binding)

  (Jan Lehnardt voted "0" which I am discounting)

>   * Further discussion, to be decided after we release 0.9

  Community: -3, PMC: -3

    -0 Noah Slater (Binding)
    +0 Antony Blakey
    +0 Dean Landolt
    -1 Paul Davis
    +0 Christopher Lenz (Binding)
    -0 Chris Anderson (binding)
    -1 Jan Lehnardt (binding)

  (Damien Katz didn't vote on this option)

Forgot to mention my super-duper vote toting-up scheme.

  +1 = +2
  +0 = +1
  -0 = -1
  -1 = -2

I added up these scores in total for each voting option.

> I created "couchcurl", a stupid-simple wrapper around curl that adds
> a newline:
>
>   http://github.com/janl/couchcurl/tree/master
>
> I wanted this tool for a long time and as you can see in the TODO
> section, this is indeed quite useful if you can specify default server
> names and port numbers so you could run

I appreciate your input, and your contributions to this, but that we have had to
make a WRAPPER for such a popular tool, just to improve user friendliness,
should in and of itself, be an indication that something is wrong.

> I understand that this does not counter all objections in the +1 camp,
> but maybe we can get more support on the -1 camp through the
> community :)

Actually, going by my counting:

  * The community strongly wants to accept the patch

  * The PMC was split and strongly wants to discuss it further

... which is an odd outcome, to say the least!