couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using HTTP headers
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2009 22:34:09 GMT
On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 03:49:33PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> Cache-Control ~= Make sure I'm getting most recent state of resource X

This header is sent by the server to the client as a local caching guide.

> Full-Commit ~= Make sure this is the most recent state of resource X

This header is sent by the client to the server to force an internal state.

> What is the clear distinction that I'm missing?

One of these deals with HTTP level caching of resource representations.

The other deals with the internal state of CouchDB.

If they are as similar as you are making out, perhaps this whole thing should
piggyback somehow onto the standard HTTP level caching protocol. This is a well
established and community driven process, and is exactly the type of thing that
the original article I linked to suggests.

If it is about caching, but not enough about caching that we should use the
standard provisions for caching, then maybe it's not enough about caching to be
using the request headers like you suggest.

Hah, I quite like that. ;)