couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using HTTP headers
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2009 20:23:43 GMT
On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 02:01:09PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> The X-Couch-Full-Commit header is a way for the client and server to
> negotiate with each other about the nature and status of the stored
> resource representation. This is suitably related to the transfer
> protocol.

Nope.

The TRANSPORT protocol is not the correct place to be discussing the status of
the server maintained resource representation. The caching headers are not
related to the server or client state in this way, they only speak about what is
sent along the wire. There is a clear distinction here.

> I apologize if you feel insulted. It wasn't meant as such. I know your
> knowledge of HTTP and associated topics far exceeds mine, but you
> can't expect me to just accept an argument based on that alone.

I didn't mean to argue by assertion or from authority. My understanding of HTTP
is way surpassed by others who might still correct me on this issue. I had
assumed a level of familiarity with HTTP that would make my points self-evident
without explanation.