couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McDaniel <couc...@autosys.us>
Subject Re: Roadmap discussion
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 19:12:55 GMT
On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 06:57:51PM +0000, Kerr Rainey wrote:
> 2009/2/10 Chris Anderson <jchris@apache.org>:
> > From my experience, I'm having a hard time seeing how any additional
> > code could help make the Erlang API "official". The project I'm
> > working on has a very specific data model (no updates, lots of
> > parallel attachment writing, using the HTTP API for everything but the
> > critical path...) and using the Erlang API has allowed me to cut out a
> > lot of code paths (eg rev checking etc). Doing this wouldn't be safe
> > for a general purpose API, but when you are interfacing in Erlang,
> > you're not using a general purpose API anyway.
>
> From my perspective it would be good to just have a nice documented
> layer that would allow any native erlang code to hook into couchdb
> without going over http.  Essentially the http layer would then sit on
> top of the erlang layer and give a nice separation.  I suspect that
> this is more of a tidy up and document rather than anything else.  Or
> at least it should be unless I'm missing something in the code.
> (<<looks at feet and mumbles>>)
>
> > I'm happy to have an Erlang API, but maybe it should wait til sometime
> > after 0.9. I think the best way to ensure that it's maintained as
> > stable would be to have an Erlang integration suite, which could
> > double as documentation. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have more
> > Erlang tests, so maybe we can file this feature under testing for now,
> > and hope we get an Erlang test suite created by interested parties.
> > Once we have the test suite we'll know what the Erlang API is.
>
> Sounds good.
>
> Cheers
> --
> Kerr

 ... also, an Erlang API that skips the

                   JSON <-convert-> native Erlang terms

 translation overhead.  Being as term translation is not necessary
 when talking 'directly' with the CDB engine
 (e.g. couch_query_servers:map_docs/2 could skip the JSON <-> term()
  translation if the view engine reads/writes native Erlang terms)

~M

--
Michael McDaniel
Portland, Oregon, USA